Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Monokini.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback with the jumpsuit dilemma. You were all so funny and very helpful! I'd love to try it on in person to see how it really looks when you wear it. I'll have to do that the next time I go to the mall.

Anyway, as I was continuing my bathing suit search, I kept coming across this bathing suit style called the MONOKINI. Various sites including American Eagle, F21, and Victoria's Secret are selling this new style. (Actually, I'm not sure if it's a new style or trend... I've just never seen it before.)

Some of them are kinda cute. Like this one:


Some of them are very "sexy":


Some of them will leave you with a WEIRD tan:


And some of them are just plain SKANKY. (Excuse my lack of a better word.)


I guess the monokini gives you more coverage than a bikini but less coverage than a tankini or one piece. Hmmm, I think I'll have to pass. Is it just me or does the word "monokini" sound like a disease or something? What do all of you think?!

14 comments:

JTS said...

Have you ever seen what an original monokini looks like? It's like a bikini...without the top! For some reason though, that look never caught on ;) I'm not a huge fan of monokinis, but I think the first pic you posted is kind of cute!

krista.alana said...

I don't like monokinis or tankinis... I was actually going to make a Fashion Police post about tankinis... a bikini or a one piece will do just fine lol, i dont need any weird hybrids

Jayna Wallace said...

I hope this trend passes. And soon. I'm a big tankini fan myself...tends to hide my protruding mid-section more than a 1-piece. Course you know, I could just do more sit-ups...

HeidiG said...

Not a fan of the monokini - b/c I remember when it was big in the 80's. When I see one, all I can think of is overpermed, frizzy hair and overtanned leathery skin.

Like RatsOnParade, I am a big tankini fan. Also easier for pottying - since that was so relevant on the jumpsuit thread! :)

tm said...

I would be scared of the odd tan lines! :O

The red one is kinda cute, but monokinis are not for me. Tankinis are ok. My faves are boy/hipster bottoms with a halter top, or JC's twist front top (regular, not bandeau). :)

Summerilla said...

Also not a monokini fan! Not only are they not too attractive looking on the body but the tan lines they would leave would be terrible looking.

Anonymous said...

I just don't understand them.

I am a big tankini fan. After having kids it's the perfect suit because it's a little looser around the tummy and so much easier for the bathroom!

JustVisiting said...

Not loving the monokini but I do favor tankini's. The tankini is a great alternative to a one piece since you don't have to pull down the entire suit to use the bathroom. Love the boy short styles.

AJLinBoston said...

The top one is kind of cute. I remember Paris Hilton had one on the fall when she made that funny video after McCain used her in a campaign video. I think she was wearing a leopard-print one.

Summerilla said...

Hey Ashley - will you email me (summer@chesapeake.net) your PS from J.Crews email address? I am having problems with one of my dresses and wanted to email someone pictures of what the dress looked like to see if this was normal or mine was defective. I thought add ask someone who I know deals with a PS online. Thanks!

toast said...

Oh, the monokini. There are some really cute ones out there (like the first one you posted), but I feel like on someone who doesn't have a long and lean body shape, it'd look pretty bizarre. I'll stick with my bikinis and one-pieces, please. :)

And you're right... you'd be left with a really weird tan line!

Lauren said...

HI! I think some monokinis are super cute--and then some are just plain skanky (sorry!). I wear a tankini--
All monokinis leave weird tanlines!!!!

Tippy said...

I think these look fine on the models but I'd never be able to pull one off in real life. They totally show off love handles, what is up with that?! You're totally right about the weird tan lines hehe

Anonymous said...

it looks like a . . . belly thong! The stretchiness between crotch and boobs is just so so wrong. I agree the pink suit is cute, but nope, not for me!!