Friday, March 6, 2009

Shopping Ban.

Hmmm that term seems so harsh. BAN. It's like I'm in trouble or something. I've been holding off from shopping for a good while now and although I haven't quite caved in, I am steadily growing weak. I REEEEEALLY WANT TO SHOP SHOP SHOP! My last purchases from JCrew were the pink tissue sequin tee, argyle sweater, seize the day tee and my giraffe shorts and my last Weekly Exchange purchases have been the leopard tartine, cashmere femme and metallic city fit ballet flats. I have been holding strong and passing up on all the promos from the past 3? weeks so I'm patting myself on the back for that.

Tonight I just couldn't pass up on a great deal. I scored something from a JCA worth blogging about: The tissue painted stripe tank in slate. Price I got it for, $14 shipped! What a score! Sure its gently used but its all good. Can't beat that price especially since this tank is sold out online.

I haven't really read up on the tank, let alone seen it in person. But I think its pretty cute. I'm guessing its a like-able tank since its sold out. I can't wait to get it! I don't feel too guilty since it is only $14. Yay for me!

Anyway, I started thinking about what Joyce (from Making the Best Joyce) had said in a previous post about buying an item that really elevates your wardrobe. I've been thinking and at the moment I don't know what that item would be for me. I looked through my closet and found that I do have A LOT of tops, pants, sweaters, EVERYTHING. I also have A LOT of purses, shoes, jackets, coats, scarfs and accessories. It's like i have everything I need but for some reason I keep buying stuff! I guess from now on I'm going to adopt an idea that I got from my best friend years ago but never followed through on. For every new item I get, I have to get rid of (give away/sell) a similar item to make sure my closet doesn't overload. At the same time, I can make money to buy new stuff! Its a win win situation right?!

I'll be doing some MAJOR spring cleaning (closet cleaning) this weekend to make room for new stuff or get rid of stuff I just don't use. Keep an eye out for my blog... you just might find something you want! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in the same boat as you! I am planning to do my spring cleaning as soon as the weather perks up. I want to start shopping at my own closet :-)

ashley said...

Hi Margot! I JUST finished cleaning my room/closet. I realized that i do have a lot of clothes and shopping my closet will be reeally fun. I initially started cleaning hoping to get rid of things but I'm sort of like a pack rat in the sense that I want to keep it all. I always think "hmm i might wear it... i'll keep it!"

So I kind of did just that. I wish I had some way to track all of my items so that I REMEMBER that I actually have them! I'll probably do polyvore with something like that but it sucks when they don't have a pic of that item online...

I saw that you're from the city which is cool! I'm not toooo far away but I also don't really drive or get out of cambridge... I'd love to go to other malls but I really don't know the area. I can't wait till we all meet up.. hopefully it wont be too far! I really want to do the shopping event thing so hopefully we can all agree somewhere to meet.

:) I'm excited! I really need a shopping buddy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,
I've been to the Burlington Mall before I moved to Boston. I know some people take the bus from the Alewife station to go there. It is a hassle, I believe, if you intend to do some serious shopping to have to drag the bags with you back in the bus. I've also been to the Cambridge Galleria - when hunting for a place to live I looked in the Kendall Sq. area. Of course, JCrew is always where I end up going to! Having relocated from NYC, I must say I am little spoiled by the choices of JCrew locations I used to have around the city. But it helped my wallet not to be surrounded by JCrew. Back to the closet cleaning, good for you! I do not consider myself a hoarder, but tend to wear the same safe and comfy outfits all the time. So all the beautiful new purchases end up being neglected. It is hard now that I share the closet with my husband, so my plan is to put the clothes I want to get rid of in a suitcase for younger relatives to wear (my young cousins are always coveting my things), and try to display the rest in a way that is easier to rotate and coordinate outfits.

dinagideon said...

I have been trying for that tank--good for you that you got it.

If you ever sell it, think of lil ole me first, okay? ;) (Although I can tell it is one of those pieces you just don't sell...)

ashley said...

Dina, I think the seller might have the chartusse (however you spell it) color still available. I know she might be away from internet this weekend but it's worth a try. Here's her email: jcrewjunkie@gmail.com

If I ever see one I'll let you know! :)

dinagideon said...

Hi Ashley: I think I saw that, too, but I believe she only had an XS available. (Am I right?) If the tank is HUGE, I could conceivably do an XS, but usually S is perfect! :) Did you find it ran real big? If so, I could try the XS! Thanks for the tip!