Friday, April 3, 2009

Product Review: Silk Ripple Top

Silk ripple top
was $78.00 select colors $59.50 item 12638
A lovely light-as-feather piece that works just as well with with shorts and flats as it does with jeans and heels. Crafted from two layers of silk with a pretty rippled texture. V-neck. Sleeveless. Ties at empire waist. Hits just below hip. Import. Machine wash. Catalog/jcrew.com only.




OMG I had such HIGH expectations for this top. And FAIL!
I paid a good $35ish bucks on this after all my discounts and you know what? I want my money back!





The material is *silk* and it is just too lightweight and shapeless IMO. Good for summer I GUESS... but its just not attractive on me and SUPER CRUMPLE-Y. I'm not sure if it is supposed to have some typw of form or no form at all, but the straps just kept falling off of me. Had the straps been adjustable or not as long, it COULD have worked out. The back is cut LOW which is okay with the correct bra... but with as low as the arm holes were, I just didn't like it. No one wants to see pit area.

I'm wearing an XS and the straps fell off my shoulders no matter what I did! I'm pretty sure they'll do the same for you. It could be the fact that maybe I'm just petite or don't have a full chest but it was just like extra material hanging around! I know the style is a deep V but ummm THAT'S TOO DEEP AND SLOUCHY FOR ME! Had I gotten a size small, I'd be SWIMMING IN IT!

There is an elastic band right under the boob part (for an empire waist) which made getting this top on and off VERY hard. The elastic was so restricting that I thought that I was going to have a panic attack trying to get it off. Not a pretty sight.

The tie around the front is so cheapy and lifeless that it just fell flat. It did nothing whatsoever.

For ME, this top was sooooo HORRIBLE. Maybe I have the wrong body type for it. To work, the straps would definitely need to be tightened for it to stay up, otherwise I'll be flashing everyone! This is SOOOO GOING back tomorrow!

Buy this top at your own risk!

On the plus side, my Cropped Chinos Item #13661 are great! Perfect length, not too see-thru, has kind of a high rise (slightly below belly button) but I'm very happy with 'em! Totally worth the buy!

16 comments:

Margot said...

Oh no! I loved this top on the model, never thought it would turn up to be the dog's dinner in real life :-( At least it wasn't final sale, so return it you must!

Jayna Wallace said...

That's so disappointing! I just ordered both colors w/the 30% off discount....I don't think they're final sale so I can still return them, but I had such high hopes...

krista.alana said...

Aww that stinks! But at least you can get your money back for it. :( ... it looks like a cute casual top to me though

ashley said...

Ladies its totally going back! I wish it would have worked out but I guess some things just aren't meant to be! It may work on other body types but even an XS was too big for me. :(

JustVisiting said...

Oh, so sorry for you! What a let down it is when the item doesn't meet expectations. One rule of thumb I follow (after many disappointing online orders), if the neckline is below the armpit on the model, it is a pass for me.

AppGal said...

Oh, Ashley...what a bummer! This is, as Gigi would say, a "hot mess" for sure! I hope you can get your money back...was it on final sale?

ashley said...

IRL- good rule of thumb! i should have known better! This is a total pass!

AppGal- LOL hot mess indeed! I'm SOOO gonna get my money back! It wasn't on final sale just one of those red "promo" prices so I was still able to use the 30% off on it. It's goin' back!

Petunia said...

Ooooh---that does look bad. Not at all how they have it pictured on the website. Major crumpleyness!!! Thanks for letting us know!

Unknown said...

That is really rippling. Me no likey. You would have to get it altered if you were keeping it, but then there goes your discount.

Molly Darling said...

Oh boo on that- I ordered it last week and it's showing up tomorrow. I had high hopes for it, but now I'm not so sure.

Anonymous said...

yeah i just got it in navy and i already returned it..got the library shawl cardigan with my store credit!

ashley said...

Gigi- that top was just a big mess. Altering would probably cost a ton and if the shoe doesn't fit I rather just get my money back for something i looooove.

Molly- Let me know how it fits on you! Was it just me or was this top just blah??

Anon- Good for you! I can't wait to get my library shawl!

KatyO. said...

This is proof that J. Crew pins and tapes until something can be photographed. You know the model was probably like, "Really? You want to sell this to people?!"

Molly Darling said...

Ok, my top came today in navy. While it seemed to fit me a little better than yours fit you, it's still not a keeper. It looks cheap and wrinkly in person, and yes, the straps are way too long. Back to the store you go.

Anonymous said...

You're supposed to be swimming in it!
(Swim Shop item)
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/swim/beachcoverups/PRDOVR~12638/12638.jsp

ashley said...

Anon,
it's actually listed in the BLOUSE category as well. also if you read the description they say it goes well with jeans and heels. it's however you wish to style it pretty much. my point is that even if i DID wear it as a swim cover-up, the fit is still too loose and uncomfortable to cover correctly.