Monday, April 27, 2009

Stuff I learned yesterday...

Since Gigi and Dina wanted to know about my belting experience I decided to let you know what I learned. Keep in mind this may be VERY obvious to you belting aficionadas but to a belting beginner like myself, this may be helpful!

1. I found out that since I DO have a boyish midsection (straight down, not much definition of a waist) it's best to wear your belt a little higher than usual.

- What I had been doing wrong is wearing it smack dab across my midsection, not giving much thought as to where my "waist" was.

2. Feel free to knot your belt instead of buckling it.

- Self explanatory. You CAN still use your buckle but to be a little different knotting it can do the job as well.

3. After belting your top, whether it be a cardi, button down, blouse... make sure to pull the excess material to the back. Our stylist said "no one cares if it has extra fabric in the back. just do it neatly, and make sure that the front is flattering."

4. When wearing cardigans and belting, make sure you don't button all the way down.

- Especially with the longer cardigans like the Michelle or the Merino Microstripe... don't button the last 3 or so buttons because by doing so you make your hips look wider than they need to. She said depending on the style you're going for, you only need to button a few.

5. Wear a simple button down shirt belted over whatever you want to give your outfit a different look.

- This is what I was going for in my previous post. The button down can be fitted OR NOT. I paired mine with shorts and a tank so that I wouldn't look so "provocative" especially since I was wearing a lower cut top, shorts, and wedge shoes. You never want to show tooo much skin. If you have a mini and heels the button down will help to cover you up without losing style! (Margo tried this look yesterday and was super cute!)

6. Don't be afraid to NOT match.

- You can mix up patterns and stripes. Mix silvers and golds. Mix belts with jewelry. She said "if you think you might be doing something wrong, then you're probably doing it right!"

I guess that's what JCrew style is about. Mixing the quirky prints and over-sized jewelry with the clean!


16 comments:

ina said...

hi ashley,
i am new to your blog and enjoy it very much.
great lesson about belting, i never know how to do it right.i will try your tips.
ina

ashley said...

hi ina! thanks for stopping by :)
i was always interested in belting outfits but never knew how to do it. im glad you found this helpful!

DaniMarie said...

Don't worry about "Anons"! I think you pull off the belt look quite well (although on me - total trainwreck) Style is personal anyway - to each their own!

I love reading your blog. I've actually bought a couple of pieces I never would have considered (i.e. the Express white cardi) after seeing them on here! So thanks and keep the posts coming (how else can I avoid studying for finals!)

krista.alana said...

Awww forget the stupid annons... they are annons for a reason... and they are probably annons in real life too... i think ur looks was super cute and what moron thinks u cant wear a belt in the summer?

love your blog and love u!

tm said...

screw the anons, your outfit was cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Ashley, I love checking in on your blog. Your belted outfit looked adorable, and I got a few tips from that post. KEEP IT UP!!!

Unknown said...

Great tips! I appreciate you taking the time to explain each detail. Thanks so much.

Ignore the anons. When you see comments that make your blood boil, delete them and walk away. I think some anons really want to express a thought they think is helpful. Of course many of them want to get a rise out of you.

This is your space. Deletion is the best defense.

Cate said...

I loved the outfit belted! I'm definitely using it as inspiration for my outfit tomorrow :) love the blog!

Margot said...

Thanks for writing down the tips, it really helps! I loved the idea of the belted white shirt, and it worked great paired with the shorts yesterday. "toxic people, go away" (chanting mantra) :-)

Dina said...

the cardigan button tip - that may be my problem! great tip, will try this for sure! thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I'm going to try these tips with the belt.
OT, does the faille maisey jacket fit true to size? It looks so cute on you, I want one!

toast said...

Thanks for the belting tips! I never thought of knotting a belt before. I love belting dresses and skirts. Also, what's the "sleeve roll" you mentioned in the other post? Is there a super secret J.Crew way of doing it? ;D I love a rolled sleeve!

Like the others said, ignore the negativity! It's your blog, and it's your style!

KatyO. said...

Ashley,
The belting techniques list was really helpful. I heard (and saw!) all of Becky's suggestions, but they promptly flew out of my head!

Also, I just have to say, you are the cutest EVER! It was really great meeting you yesterday. :) It's too bad you had to leave so early--I wanted to grab coffee with you and see how you're doing after last week.

And f*ck the anons. ;)

Anonymous said...

You cannot put some unknown person on blast cute young lady. Just remember that not everyone will see what you see or play nice. This is your happy place and space they are only visiting for a moment. Dust your shoulders off and keep things moving. Everyone will not agree with everything you do, wear or say. Oh well that is life and people.

I like your belts and blog.

AJLinBoston said...

Thanks so much for sharing these tips! I still have a sash I got on sale in January and have never worn because I don't know what to do with it! I wish I could have gone to the shopping event yesterday, sounds like it was a success!

ashley said...

d- thanks for always stopping by! good luck with finals! but don't forget that study breaks are always necessary! :)

krista- lol. why can't you live here in MA so we can go shopping together!!!

tasty- thanks! i'll do my best to put it behind me. :)

cdp- thanks! im glad that post helped! stop by again soon! :)

gigi- great advice! so many haters out there huh?! it's crazy because i went from having no readers to having all this traffic. i guess it's a good thing :) im always a fan of your blog!

cate- glad to have helped! can't wait to see what you put together!

margot- lol. you're always so funny! i'll have to start chanting now.

dina- glad the tip helped! you always know how to work a belt! i mainly wanted to start belting after seeing all of your outfits! and you know us.. we're always on the same style wavelength!

Anon 1204- i sized down in the maisey. im usually a 4p but the 2 fit perfect. i hope you're able to find one! :) if you ever need help don't be afraid to ask!

toast- i'll be posting about that sleeve roll next! :) its nothing too complicated.

katy- we shall definitely meet up again! i was doing my best to remember everything becky said and for the most part i think i got all the points covered... i really enjoyed meeting you too! :)

anon 613- very valid advice. shoulders are officially brushed off and ready for fashion. you're right that is life... and i guess i'll just have to leave it at that. thanks for stopping by.

pink maple- we'll need to arrange another event for you to be there too! hopefully you find some great inspiration for that sash. if i come across and ideas i'll be sure to let you know! :) hope to see ya soon!